Monday, April 7, 2008

short story...

Winters Walk

It was a cold winter day, one of the coldest. Freya and Kathy were dropped of at the end of the lane, to a friends house, where they were suppose to spend the night. Freya was 10 and Kathy was a little younger. They walked up the lane, smiling, knowing they were going to be warm in a minute, and have a good visit.

Outside of the door, they were about to knock, when Freya over heard their friends mom talking, they were talking about them. About how they felt so sorry for them, because their father had left and all their mom did was drink.

Freya took her little sister by the hand and they ran for home. Which was miles away. The wind whipped at their hair and faces, and chilled them to the bone, they were not dressed for such a trip. But Freya pressed on. Holding her sisters hand tears streaming down their faces, looking for the lights of their Loves Folly home. No-one was there to greet them, but they were home. They had each other. Her whole life has been a continuation of that winters walk.

This why I love her so very much. That is why I always will. I’ll never let her down, if with only support of love. I’ll take that walk myself one day; and hopefully I’ll be there long before Freya takes her final winters walk.

I’ll be there this time, and she’ll never be alone again.

True Story Written By: Harper 2004

No comments: